Have you ever heard Kuri Kinton?
We usually eat it on New Year’s Day- If you know something sweet potato paste in Osechi, that is!
You can buy pre-made one at the end of the December, but the pre-made one is soooo sweet! And I don’t like it so much. But the Home-made one is less sweet and you have natural flavor from the ingredients, and it’s nice!
What is Osechi?
We eat it as kind of side dish with the other dishes, but the taste is totally sweets.
You can eat it as it is, or use it for the filling in the sweet bread or even cakes
I sometimes make sponge cake with Kuri Kinton and whipped cream for dessert if I have leftover!
250g of sweet potato
7-10 sweetened chestnuts
1 dried gardenia fruit (Kutinashi no mi)
(A) 50g of sugar
(A) 50cc of Sweet syrup of chestnuts
(A) 3 Tablespoons of Mirin
(A) a pinch of salt
Dried gardenia fruit can make the dish bright yellow color naturally
- Peel off the skin of sweet potato and slice into 2-3 cm pieces. Soak in the water.
- Crush the Dried gardenia fruit.
- Boil the water, place the sweet potato and the fried gardenia fruit. Cook them until the potatoes become soft.
- Drain the water, and remove the fried gardenia fruit. Place sweet potatoes in a food processor then mash it.
- Place the mashed potato and all the (A)s in a pan and heat it up. When the potato paste become shiny, add the chestnuts then stop the gas. Cook it down.